2023 Call for applications
A fund of up to €500,000 is being made available to support community-led projects as part of the Peatlands Community Engagement Scheme 2023.
Following a successful call in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 the Peatlands Community Engagement Scheme, is now open for applications for 2023.
This is a competitive fund which is administered by the Peatland Conservation Unit of the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage with a fund of up to €500,000 available in 2023.
This Scheme seeks to encourage local peatland communities, groups, schools and other interested parties to play a part in the conservation and revitalisation of raised and blanket bogs – particularly protected bogs and fens – and to promote public engagement with and awareness of our natural heritage and environment.
Applications are welcomed across a diverse range of peatland initiatives that offer a community benefit, including events, education programmes, conservation management plans, restoration measures, feasibility studies, public amenity and recreational projects, plans to deal with invasive species, and fire control measures.
Successful applicants for this year’s assistance will be awarded funding to support a maximum of 80% of the project’s eligible costs, with a maximum grant of €40,000 for designated sites and up to €20,000 for undesignated peatland or fen sites.
How do I apply?
The National Parks and Wildlife Service of the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage, and the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine have today published a report exploring the need for increased pan-European collaboration on peatlands restoration, conservation and sustainable management. The report summarises the findings of an exploratory study to discover how a European network could help overcome action and policy barriers for peatlands.
The European Peatlands Initiative exploratory study involved over 150 stakeholders from the peatlands sector across Ireland and Europe. The aim of the study was to discover the key needs of Europe’s peatlands and to investigate if there were potential benefits that could accrue from cross- country collaboration on peatlands management.
European Peatlands Initiative Report – English – PDF
European Peatlands Initiative Report – Gaeilge – PDF
The Living Bog Collage
For access to our project deliverables, including the Layman’s report which is a useful summary of our activities and outputs, please see below:
- Appendix 3 – HIRA and Safety Planning [PDF]
- Appendix 4 – Fire Plan – Ferbane [PDF]
- Appendix 6 – Hydrology Results on the EU Funded “Living Bog Project” [PDF]
- Appendix 7 – Vegetation Monitoring Report [PDF]
- Appendix 8 – Water Chemistry and Climate Change Monitoring Report [PDF]
- Appendix 10 – Assessment and Ecosystem Functions Restoration [PDF]
- Appendix 11a E1-1 – Social Media Slides [PowerPoint]
- Appendix 12a-1 E2 – Raised Bogs Signs Page 1 [Image]
- Appendix 12a-2 E2 – Raised Bogs Signs Page 2 [Image]
- Appendix 12b E2 – Amenity Works Completed [PDF]
- Appendix 12b E2 – LIFE Signage in Situ [ZIP]
- Appendix 13a E3 – Networking with LIFE Projects [PDF]
- Appendix 13b E3 – Raised Bog Restoration Workshop [ZIP]
- Appendix 14a E4 – Press Release for Project Launch [Word]
- Appendix 14b E4 – End of Project Conference Pack Presentations [ZIP]
- Appendix 14c E4 – End of LIFE Conference Site Visit [PDF]
- Appendix 15 E5 – Local Government Engagement [PDF]
- Appendix 16a E6 – The Living Bog Handout – Carrownagappul Bog [PDF]
- Appendix 16b E6 – The Living Bog Handout – Clara Bog [PDF]
- Appendix 16c E6 – Promotional Brochure [PDF]
- Appendix 17 E6 – Promotional Banners [PDF]
- Appendix 18 E6 – Project Newsletter [PDF]
- Appendix 19 E7 – Website Snapshots [PDF]
- Appendix 21a E9 – Recovery of the Vegetation of a Cutover Raised Bog in Ireland Following Rewetting Measures [PDF]
- Appendix 21b E9 – Plant Communities in the Gradient from Raised Bog to Fen in a Near-Intact Lagg Zone in Carrownagappul Bog [PDF]
- Appendix 22 E9 – Raised Bog Cutover Habitat Classification Scheme [PDF]
- Appendix 23 E10 – LIFE Projects Technique Manual [PDF]
- Appendix 24 E11 – Layman’s Report [PDF]
- Appendix 26 F4 – End of Project GIS [PowerPoint]
- Appendix 28 F6 – AfterLIFE Report [PDF]
- Appendix 29 F6 – AfterLIFE Hydrology Monitoring Plan [PDF]